Keynes and Hayek

During the recent Jan Term faculty workshop, I spent a little time talking about ideas for student video projects. While most were, I hope, practical I tried to throw out a couple that were maybe more on the imaginative, if bizarre, side. One of those ideas proposed a rap video based on a totally unexpected subject. My inspiration for that one was the now well-known Hadron Collider rap. Who knew that lead ion collisions and dark matter could be so melodic and downright fun? I really thought it would be nearly impossible to top the Hadron Collider rap for sheer audacity and cleverness of rhyme.

At least, that’s what I thought until I came across this little number on The Chronicle’s Tweed blog. Keynes and Hayek resurrected. Who? Keynes and Hayek were “two of the great economists of the 20th century.” And thanks to the econstories.tv project by the Mercatus Center at George Mason University and the The Productioneers, LLC we can all benefit from a modern take on their economic philosophies. Rap video based on a totally unexpected subject? Oh, yeah.

You see it’s all about spending, hear the register cha-ching
Circular flow, the dough is everything
So if that flow is getting low, doesn’t matter the reason
We need more government spending, now it’s stimulus season

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nERTFo-Sk]

Visit the EconStories website to get the complete lyrics and to find out more about the project.