iTunes U (U for University) is a free service provided by Apple. Any computer that can run iTunes (available as a free download for both Mac and Windows) can access the wide variety of podcasts on iTunes U. Podcasts may be in PDF format, audio-only files, video or mixed media. You can easily incorporate links to podcasts into a Blackboard course with just a few clicks of the mouse.
What can you find on iTunes U?
Introduction to Modern Physics, Weekly Legal Writing Tips, Social and Emotional Learning, The Art of Annotation, What is Investment Banking, Poetry Everywhere, Classical Guitar Recitals, Art and Its Histories . . . and much more
Who will you find on iTunes U?
Arizona State University, Boston University, Duke, MIT, Stanford, University of Pennsylvania, American Theatre Wing, Brooklyn Museum, National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, PRI Public Radio International . . . and many more
Find podcasts on iTunes U
- Open iTunes and select iTunes Store from the column on the left (see screenshot below).
- Select iTunes U from the list in the iTunes Store panel.
- Browse featured podcasts, or search by Category or Provider. Check out the most sought after topics in the Top Downloads list on the right.
Add a podcast link to Blackboard
- Click on the podcast that interests you to bring up the title area.
- Right-click on the title and select Copy iTunes Store URL from the pop-up menu (see screenshot below).
- Login to Blackboard and navigate to the area of your Blackboard class where you want the link to appear.
- Press Control-V (Windows) or Command-V (Mac) to paste the URL.
When students click on the link, iTunes will open directly to the podcast page. Clicking on the Get button downloads individual podcasts to the computer. Students can then view (or listen, if audio only) to the podcast on the computer or transfer it to their iPod.
If the podcast is part of a series, students have the option to subscribe to the entire group. Any new podcasts are automatically downloaded when iTunes is opened. (Subscribing is not recommended on lab computers.)
Sample a podcast
Sample any podcast just by double-clicking its name in the podcast list. Listen to, or view, as much as you like without having to download or subscribe. Here are a few to get you started:
Mixed Media: Features animation and text
American Theatre Wing
Audio and Video podcasts available
Want to know more about accessing or using media from iTunes U? Contact Anita at ext. 2543 or email athier.