American Artists’ Congress Game – Reflection

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

The biggest thing that I learned from the game was how interconnected art and politics were in America. Through the various art history courses that I have taken, I have learned a lot about the relationship between politics and art in Europe throughout history, but I had not learned as much about America. I first learned about the American Artist’s Congress and the Artist’s Union through this game. It was interesting to see that artists formed groups that were so involved in political matters on top of being involved in issues that impacted only artists. It was also interesting to see that several of the artists in the congress didn’t create works that were overtly political or that seemed to have any political message whatsoever given how concerned the group as a whole was with political issues.

Something that I think was done well with the game were the character sheets. My character sheet gave me several pages worth of background information, which provided me with a very good starting point for researching my character. Something that I think could have been better is if we had been provided with a character list. I think that it would have been helpful if we were able to look into our fellow congress members a little bit before meeting with them. For example, my character sheet says that prior to our first meeting as a congress, I should talk with some of my friends in the congress to get them on board with supporting my continued leadership. I think a character list would have been helpful in this scenario as I would have been able to look at the characters and see who I thought would be easier to convince and who might be harder to convince.