My Writing Goals

photo of laptop and books
Source: Tumblr

Writing has always been a great passion of mine, from developing original music to inventing stories. Not only is it a significant tool with which to convey message and meaning, it is an art form — and one that further communicates the beauty in other kinds of art. In my Junior Writing in Art class, I anticipate doing exactly this. 

After multiple courses exploring various forms of art and the history of them, I am only more intrigued to learn about the gems of the art world I have yet to explore. I hope to connect with multiple pieces of art and perhaps even find inspiration in them. My dedication to writing about these pieces, in turn, should improve my writing. I expect to analyze the writing of others in the art field, which will both help me better how I write about art and harness my own voice. I anticipate becoming more familiar with art terminology and practicing their application, and I hope to develop the ability to vividly convey all of my impressions of a work of art.

To achieve these goals, I know must overcome at least three prominent flaws in my writing. One, organization is difficult to maintain in my writing. I am excited to include any and all thoughts I have on a subject, but I do not always know how to do so. From my first one-on-one meeting for this class, I learned that there are indeed a variety of ways to solve this problem, including restructuring ideas upon editing and using footnotes for intriguing information that interrupts the flow of my main body of writing. Two, I struggle to remain clear and concise. Some sentences can become wordy, often assembled with parentheses and em dashes, in my desperation to include all the information I feel necessary. Three, I must learn how to translate my thoughts into writing in a way that makes my writing interesting from start to end. Often, I have ideas for how to write the bodies of my essays and blogs, but I have no clue how to form the introduction. As a result, my writing can sometimes feel disconnected instead of like a fluid, singular entity.

If I can polish my writing by improving in these areas, I will be on my way to successfully harnessing my passion for writing into something I will be proud to publish for many eyes to see. There are countless applications for writing in the world, and I believe it is a golden key to allow me to truly be a part of this world. 

One Reply to “My Writing Goals”