CEO Talk

Logo for McDaniel College's Center for Experience & Opportunity

Tuesday’s session was incredibly useful and motivational. Job searching has always been a concern for me. It’s intimidating, and I am afraid of failing or finding myself in a rut while pursuing work. It’s hard for me to feel confident or to accomplish many things when I don’t believe I have the skills to achieve my goals, especially when it comes to putting my foot in the door for valuable opportunities in life. If I’m too afraid to try at all, though, I’ll never succeed.

One of the most important lessons I learned during the CEO talk was knowing when to say ‘yes’ and when to say ‘no.’ For example, even while pursuing my dream job, it could be wise to accept other jobs that seek to employ my talents and dedication. It would increase my experience in the job field, encourage me to practice and learn different skills, and perhaps provide me with pay, which is always valuable. However, I cannot pursue or accept opportunities I cannot follow through on. Canceling plans or not putting forth my best work only makes me appear unprofessional and thus undesirable to employers. It is better here to say ‘no.’

Another valuable takeaway from this talk was getting to explore a variety of career networking platforms, to which I had no prior exposure. It will be much easier for me to begin searching for internships or jobs, and knowing the benefits of networking has encouraged me to ensure I make connections with various people.

Before this session, I was aware of the significance of a résumé, but it was helpful to really visualize the correlation between a solid résumé and the employers to whom it is intended to be given. I learned that when building a résumé, it is important to keep in mind who will be reading them. There is room for creativity, but flair is not going to impress all employers nor will a standard résumé be enough to catch the attentions of others. Research into my employers is vital because the employers appreciate such dedication and I will be especially prepared for the task I intend to tackle.

Perhaps, most importantly of all, hard work is what will earn me the rewards and accomplishments I seek. I need to invest time into hunting for jobs, I need to practice my skills every day, and even if I am not officially employed, I can still make other accomplishments, no matter how small. The hard work adds up.